Tuesday, 28 December 2010

Identity theft: Teacher to face counts over fraud


via CAAI

Tuesday, 28 December 2010 15:01 Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

Identity theft

A HIGH school teacher in Phnom Penh was charged on Sunday with embezzling thousands of dollars from two people by impersonating the brother of Deputy Prime Minister Men Sam An, said Sok Roeun, deputy prosecutor at Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Men Thareth, 40, is accused of lying to the two victims and promising them prominent government positions in exchange for considerable bribes. Three other accomplices have also been charged with the crime but have yet to be apprehended.

“I have charged Men Thareth and his three accomplices with cheating people out of money by using the name of this high-ranking government official. He has now been sent to prison and is awaiting trial,” Sok Roeun said.

Yin San, chief of police in Prampi Makara district, said Men Thareth was arrested after his victims reported that they paid US$2,000 to secure government jobs.

When contacted yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Men Sam An said she had no idea who the man was, since she had no brother. “I only have three sisters and I am the eldest in my family,” she said. “I would like to appeal to the court to strongly punish this man and those who have used my name, as well as my family’s name, for financial gain.”

No comments: