Friday, 21 January 2011 15:02 Mom Kunthear
Two men and a woman accused of involvement in an acid attack that left two women hospitalised with serious injuries were sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday, a police official said.
The victims were attacked by two men on a motorbike in Meanchey district at about 9pm on Tuesday, in an assault that was allegedly ordered by the wife of one of the men.
Kong Samon, deputy district police chief, described the attack as an “attempted murder” and said the suspects had been detained at the district police station since their arrest on Tuesday.
“Those suspected acid attackers were sent to the court this evening and the police charged them with attempted murder,” he said yesterday, though he declined to comment further, saying he was in a meeting.
Municipal court officials with knowledge of the case could not be reached for comment yesterday evening.
The victims, 24-year-old Rin Soklim and 26-year-old Seng Touch, were allegedly attacked “over a small rivalry” with the woman who ordered the assault.
Seng Touch was most seriously injured in the attack, receiving severe burns to her face and body.