Wednesday, 19 March 2008

Forget celebrating, there's work to do

Waikato Times
Wednesday, 19 March 2008

By AARON LEAMAN

Hamilton woman Shirley Caspari isn't expecting any special treatment on her birthday late in July.

Instead, the 74-year-old plans to spend the day helping build brick houses in the Cambodian province of Siem Reap.

Mrs Caspari is co-leading one of two Habitat for Humanity teams which will travel to Cambodia in July to build concrete block houses for families living in squatter huts.

"I'll probably wait until I'm home with family before I celebrate my 75th," she said.

"I'm going there to work, not party."

The two "global village teams" will include up to 18 volunteers each with members having to raise $4000 to cover the cost of airfares and other expenses.

As part of the trip, team members will also visit the site of the infamous Killing Fields in Phnom Penh, as well as the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum.

Having been on two previous overseas trips with Habitat for Humanity, Mrs Caspari said the experiences had been life-changing.

"Working and living alongside locals is the best way to see a country. You get to meet people that the average tourist would never meet.

"In New Zealand we have so much. Every time I come back home after visiting a Third World country I'm blown away by how wealthy we all are compared with people in Asia and Africa.
Because I have so much I feel it's my responsibility to give back. "

People have until the end of the month to register for the trip. For more information on the project visit www.habitatcni.org.nz.

No comments: