via CAAI News Media
FIFA coaching course
Monday, 01 February 2010 15:00 Ung Chamroeun
World football governing body FIFA sponsored a women’s coach training course at Cambodia’s National Football Center January 25-27. The course received participation from 29 sports officials (16 females and 13 males) from Phnom Penh, Battambang, Stung Treng, Kandal, Siem Reap, Kampong Speu, Kampong Chhnang, Pailin and Oddar Meanchey provinces. The workshops were conducted by Monika Staab, a FIFA expert from Switzerland, and Dato Yap Nyim Keong, ASEAN Football Federation executive secretary. According to Cambodian Football Federation General Secretary Ouk Sethycheat, the course aimed to improve the standard of Cambodian coaching and promote women’s football in the Kingdom. A similar workshop was held last year.
CPL star flops abroad
Monday, 01 February 2010 15:00 Andy Brouwer
Cambodia’s national football team captain, Kuoch Sokumpheak has returned home after an unsuccessful four-day trial with last season’s Indonesian Super League champions Persipura Jayapura. The team based in Irian Jaya, who will compete in the AFC Champions League next month, were looking at new faces ahead of their transfer window, which opens next week. Kuoch Sokumpheak has rejoined his Cambodian club Khemara Keila ahead of their Hun Sen Cup match against Prek Pra Keila February 7.
ABA needs no security
Monday, 01 February 2010 15:00 Steve Finch
ADVANCED Bank of Asia (ABA Bank) has completed its first loan deal without requiring security, according to a press release issued Friday. ABA said it had offered lending to Choice Taxi Company, a new South Korean metered taxi service in Phnom Penh, which allowed the firm to purchase new Kia cars based on its business plan. Choice General Director Choi Dae Yong said he planned to start with 20 vehicles financed by the loan, according to the ABA release, which the firm would later expand to 30 cars.
Mobitel deal wins prize
Monday, 01 February 2010 15:00 Post Staff
ROYAL Group’s November buyout of Millicom International’s majority stake in mobile phone market leader Mobitel has won “Asia deal of the year” for 2009 in Telecom Finance magazine. The deal, worth US$346 million that included a $421 million financing package for the 58.4 percent stake, was advised by Cambodia Capital and Goldman Sachs, and arranged by Standard Bank and ANZ Bank in a move that saw Royal Group take complete control of the mobile firm. “This was truly a trailblazing deal…. [That] could potentially mark the beginning of a new dawn in Indochina,” the judging panel was quoted as saying.
NBC's new core system
Monday, 01 February 2010 15:00 Nguon Sovan
THE central bank has said it will introduce a new core banking system this month. Speaking at a conference on banking technology last week, National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) Director General Tal Nay Im said the bank was close to finishing upgrading its core system. This follows an announcement in June from California-based software giant Oracle that it had sold its Flexcube Core banking package to the NBC and microfinance organisation Prasac. The system allows banks to automate processes, including deposits, lending, foreign exchange, securities, fund transfers and asset management. Sim Senacheert, general manager of MFI Prasac, said Sunday his MFI put the US$1 million software into operation early last month.
Asylum Claim: Group calls for access to Uighurs
Monday, 01 February 2010 15:04 Sebastian Strangio
Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called on the Chinese government to disclose the whereabouts of 20 ethnic Uighurs deported by Cambodian authorities on December 19, saying they have disappeared into a “black hole”. In a statement issued on Friday, the group said Beijing should allow the deportees to meet with lawyers, relatives and officials from the UN. “There is no information about their whereabouts, no notification of any legal charges against them, and there are no guarantees they are safe from torture and ill-treatment,” Sophie Richardson, Asia advocacy director at Human Rights Watch, said in the statement. HRW claims to have received an unconfirmed report that some of the Uighurs, who travelled to Cambodia in November after witnessing deadly ethnic riots in July, were sentenced to death by a court in China’s Xinjiang province. When contacted Sunday, Qian Hai, spokesman for the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh, declined to comment.