Thursday, 3 February 2011

Capital to rebuild Dangkor dump

via CAAI

Thursday, 03 February 2011 15:01 Chhay Channyda

Phnom Penh City Hall confirmed plans to rehabilitate a dumpsite in Dangkor district by rebuilding a surrounding dam destroyed during a flood in October last year at a meeting on Monday.

According to a report of the meeting released yesterday, Phnom Penh Governor Kep Chuktema ordered relevant local authorities to be responsible for making the Dangkor dumpsite safe for waste disposal.

Phnom Penh Municipal deputy director of public works and transports Ney Sona, who authored the report, said in the meeting that the dam surrounding the dumpsite was “destroyed severely” by a flood on October 12 last year.

Ney Sona, who could not be reached for comment, said in the report that the rebuilding of the dam was for “safety before the rainy season this year and aims to prevent accidental incidents”.

The report stated that soil would be used to build a 180-metre dam and a 210-metre road at the dumpsite.

The meeting did not reveal the date or cost of rebuilding the dam.

Seng Chamroeun, deputy director of Phnom Penh waste disposal firm Cintri, said yesterday that he was unaware of City Hall’s plans, but welcomed the rebuilding of the dam as it was difficult for Cintri trucks to enter the dumpsite every day to dispose of 1,200 tonnes of waste.

No comments: