Tuesday, 08 February 2011 15:02 James O'Toole
The Khmer Rouge tribunal announced yesterday that it has revised its 2010-2011 budget downward by US$15.1 million, an adjustment that comes following months of appeals for donations from the international community that have been slow in coming.
The hybrid court’s Cambodian side is set to spend $9.9 million this year, while the international side will spend $30.8 million. United Nations court spokesman Lars Olsen said the tribunal was still short roughly $20 million in funding for this year.
Salary payments for the court’s Cambodian staff were delayed on several occasions last year due to funding shortfalls.
Savings from the previously approved budget resulted from factors including unexpected staffing vacancies and lower than anticipated use of experts and outside contractors, according to a budget summary posted on the court’s website. Savings will also accrue this year due to the consolidation and elimination of previously existing staff positions.
The court will spend approximately $72 million for 2010 and 2011 under the revised budget, yesterday’s statement said.
Last month, the tribunal announced that the Japanese government had pledged $11.7 million to fund court operations in 2011. Some $8.8 million will go towards the tribunal’s international side, while $2.9 million will go to the national side.