Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Military, local police square off


via CAAI News Media

Tuesday, 02 February 2010 15:02 May Titthara

A POLICE officer from Stung Treng province has filed a complaint against two military policemen and a forestry official, saying he was shot at because he was mistaken for an illegal logger.

Theam Muon, an officer from Stung Treng province, said he was driving to neighbouring Ratanakkiri province Saturday night when he was fired upon.

They “tried to chase my car and shot at the car four times”, Theam Muon said.

“I asked them why they shot at my car. They said they were looking for expensive wood because they suspected I was a logger.”

Theam Muon wants the court to pursue charges of attempted murder and attempted robbery against the trio.

“They pointed a gun to my head,” he said.

However, one of the military police officers named in the complaint rebutted Theam Muon’s allegations.

Cheang Kimse, who is based in O’Pong Moan village, said he never fired his weapon.

“I did not shoot into the car. We needed to check their car because loggers always use modern cars for logging at night,” he said.

Cheang Kimse said it was he who had been mistreated.

“I asked to check the car, but they said they are police and that they don’t need to have their car checked,” he said. “Then they pushed my chest.”

Provincial police chief Nguon Koeurn could not be reached for comment.

No comments: