Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Inept birthday boy gets six years


via CAAI

Wednesday, 08 September 2010 17:21 Chrann Chamroeun

A French man who said he robbed a Phnom Penh bank of about US$300 because his mum didn’t wish him a happy birthday has been sentenced to six years in a Cambodian prison.

The bungled robbery came undone when the Francois Chateau, 48, reportedly dashed with his loot straight into a glass door, a mistake he put down to intoxication.

Though Chateau confessed to charges of robbery and illegal use of a weapon during the trial, he expressed disappointment at the sentence, which he believed failed to take into account extenuating circumstances.

“I was completely drunk after finishing a bottle of whisky and I didn’t intentionally do it,” he said.

“I regret my mistake because I was really disappointed that my mother didn’t wish me a happy birthday.” … read the full story in tomorrow’s Phnom Penh Post or see the updated story online from 3PM UTC/GMT +7 hours.

No comments: