Written by DAP NEWS -- Thursday, 05 November 2009
(Posted by CAAI News Media)
A monk was electrocuted in Banteay Meanchey’s Poipet City while making his daily rounds begging for alms, police reported on Wednesday.
Monk Ra Vidang, 19, died near a casino in Kbal Spean village, Poipet.
Ra Vidang and Mak Pisith, 18, both monks at Sreoh Trach’ pagoda, were together at the time. Mak Pisith recalled that both were taking shelter under the lee of a house roof when Vidang walked near a wall and was electrocuted. “I tried to pick him but there was no way,” he said.
He was unsure why the electric cable was live and bare and dangling in a pool of water. Some local Poipet residents have appealed for an investigation by local authorities. Electrifying properties is sometimes used to deter thieves, especially in the provinces. Poipet district Department of Cults official Suy Leang told DAP News Cambodia that “Vidang’s family is very poor so they depend on the Committee of the Sreoh Trach’s pagoda.”
Another two electrocutions have occurred recently, one in Phnom Penh and one on November 4 in Banteay Meanchey province.