Monday, 8 June 2009

The Phnom Penh Post News In Briefs

In Brief: Sok An to address revenue concerns

Written by Khouth Sophak Chakrya
Monday, 08 June 2009

Deputy Prime Minster and Chairman of Apsara Authority Sok An will appear in the National Assembly next week to address concerns about the revenue gathered from admissions to Angkor Wat, according to an official. "[Sok An] will be appearing in the National Assembly to answer all the concerns of parliamentarians," Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said Sunday. "It's a good chance to put the opposition party's doubts and criticism against the government to rest." Sam Rainsy Party lawmaker Son Chhay sent a letter to Heng Samrin, president of the National Assembly, on Thursday, calling on Sok An to answer questions relating to Angkor Wat tourist revenues, in addition to the issues of night lighting and temple conservation.

In Brief: SRP lawmaker appears in court

Written by Meas Sokchea
Monday, 08 June 2009

Prosecutors questioned Sam Rainsy Party lawmaker Ho Vann at Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Friday, in relation to a defamation lawsuit brought by 22 military officers who have accused him of denigrating the quality of the degrees awarded to them by a Vietnamese military academy. Ho Vann denies making the assertion, claiming that the news outlet that initially reported the alleged statement had issued a correction that could help to resolve the dispute. "If the prosecutor understands my explanation, the plaintiffs will understand as well," he said. The court's deputy prosecutor, Sok Roeun, declined comment Sunday, saying that he could not discuss the court's decision beforehand.

In Brief: Hunt for Canadian H1N1 suspect ends

Written by Sam Rith
Monday, 08 June 2009

Cambodian health officials on Sunday called an end to their search for a Canadian national who was possibly exposed to the influenza A (H1N1) swine flu virus after failing to find the man. Sok Touch, director of the Communicable Diseases Control Department at the Ministry of Health, said that since the man had reported no symptoms after a week, he was unlikely to have been infected by the disease. He said the Canadian arrived at Phnom Penh International Airport on May 31 and that health officials have been on his trail because of fears he may have contracted the virus from an infected 8-year-old Taiwanese boy who sat next to him on the flight.

No comments: