Thursday, 21 February 2008

PM rules out meeting Thaksin in Cambodia

enews.mcot.net
20 February 2008

BANGKOK, Feb 20 (TNA) - Thailand's Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Wednesday confirmed his planned trip to Cambodia on March 3 but ruled out any knowledge that former premier Thaksin Shinawatra would also be in the neighbouring country during his official visit.

"What a coincidence! It shouldn't be possible," exclaimed Mr. Samak. "If we're going to meet, the Cambodian goverment should have informed me."

He said he was not aware that the former premier was scheduled to play golf with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

"I don't play golf but the Cambodian premier does. I really don't know anything [about Thaksin's trip to Cambodia]."

Mr. Samak clearly stated his willingness to travel on a commercial, not an official or private aircraft, and he will stay overnight in the Cambodian capital.

Cambodia will be the second leg of the premier's tour of neighbouring countries.

He will kick off his trip with a visit to Laos and afterward, Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar are on the list.

Mr. Samak described as a "friendly gesture" the decision by Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda to travel to Laos with him.

"He (Gen Anupong) has been more familiar with Laos than me .

We will travel in a small team for more flexibility. I will strictly follow the Foreign Ministry's protocol but the ministry should not object to my desire to travel on a commercial flight.," the premier said.

He also thanked the media for "allowing me to lead a normal life and I can also stop to do some shopping on my way back home."

(TNA)

No comments: