Friday, 9 May 2008

Dona wants to make a difference

Crossroads: Dona Howells, who is going work in orphanages in Cambodia.

Thursday 8th May 2008
The Shuttle

A YOUNG woman at a "crossroads" in her life is going to spend a year in Cambodia working with children orphaned by HIV and AIDS.

Dona Howells, 26, an administrator, of Park Lane, Kidderminster, said she wanted to make a difference in the world while she worked out her own long-term future.

She said: "This is something I have always thought about doing but never felt I would be able to. Now I think I can do it and I want to bring what I can offer the world to the people who need it most."

She added: "It's very important to me. I am so dead set on going that if I coudn't I would feel I wasn't realising my potential. It will help me grow as a person and, at the same time, help other people as well."

Miss Howells will be volunteering in three orphanages in Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh, looking after children aged eight and younger.

She has been researching the plight of many children there, where HIV and Aids are common and people often live in extreme poverty.

She said: "Some of the children there don't have anything. If I can just hold or cuddle them it will make a big difference. Just to make them laugh would be nice."

Miss Howells hopes to bring her childhood passion for drama to the orphanages where she will be teaching each day as well as supervising at playtime.

She said: "I had two weeks of sleepless nights because I was so overwhelmed with emotions about going. I have never been anywhere on my own before and I am at a crossroads point in my life."

Miss Howells will be living with nine other volunteers without any income. She needs to raise an extra £2,000 to £3,000 to be able to support herself. She is due to leave on August 29.

She said: "My friends and family have been very supportive. Everyone has donated money and been there for me when I had any worries about anything."

She is holding a car boot sale at Keen's Farm, Callow Hill, on Sunday. Money charged will go towards her trip. The sale starts at 7am.

No comments: