Friday, 6 June 2008

Cambodian Wedding, American Twist

By Taing Sarada, VOA Khmer
Original report from Washington
05 June 2008

Khmer audio aired 5 June 2008 (1.31 MB) - Download (MP3)
Khmer audio aired 5 June 2008 (1.31 MB) - Listen (MP3)

Even Cambodians living outside their country can maintain their cultures and traditions. That much was evident through a recent wedding between a Cambodian woman and an American man.

Robert Hendricks, bedecked in traditional Cambodian groom clothes, said his bride's Cambodian family had welcomed him warmly.

His bride-to-be, Marianne Koch, said after eight years of dating, she was happy to be married.

Her father, Kouy Marong, said he was happy to be preserving Cambodian culture, and her mother, Chanthary, hoped she would continue to do so.

"I feel very happy for my relationship with my husband," Koch said. "I feel very satisfied and happy with my husband, that he can participate with the Khmer community. I also feel very happy to observe my husband’s culture.”

Hendricks' mother, Ronie Lake, called the Cambodian wedding a part of a "valuable tradition."
"It is a good ceremony," she said, "from beginning to end."

No comments: