Tuesday, 26 May 2009

World leaders offer condolences for Roh's death


The Korean Herald

2009.05.25

World leaders have expressed their condolences to the South Korean people for the death of the country's former leader Roh Moo-hyun. U.S. President Barack Obama on Saturday expressed his condolences, praising Roh for his role in enhancing bilateral ties.

"I was saddened by the news of the death of former President Roh Moo-hyun of the Republic of Korea," Obama said in a statement.

"During his tenure, President Roh contributed to the strong and vital relationship between the United States and the Republic of Korea. On behalf of the government of the United States, I offer my condolences to his family and to the Korean people."

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon sent a message of condolence to the family of South Korea's late former President Roh Moo-hyun on Sunday, saying he was deeply saddened by the shocking death of his former boss.

"I am shocked and in deep grief over the news of Roh's unexpected death," Ban said in the message. "I send my condolences to the South Korean government and its people who lost their former leader."

Ban served as South Korea's foreign minister from 2004-2006 during Roh's presidency.

Ban sent the message from Sri Lanka, where he was meeting with local officials to discuss the ethnic conflict in the South Asian nation, Seoul's Foreign Ministry said.

The U.N. chief also praised Roh for his efforts in paving the way for democracy in South Korea and pushing for various social reforms in his home country.

Separately, Ban issued a statement of condolence over Roh's death on the U.N.'s Web site.
British Prime Minister Gorden Brown also offered his condolences over Roh's death, the British Embassy here said Saturday.

"I would like to send you and the Korean people sincere condolences on behalf of the British government at this time of grief and shock," said Brown in a message sent to South Korea's President Lee Myung-bak through the British Embassy in Seoul.

"I was most saddened to hear the news of President Roh Moo-hyun's tragic death. He had been a leader of your country who had made his mark both nationally and internationally."

Earlier, Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso expressed surprise at the death of Roh and offered his condolences to the Korean people.

"I was quite surprised," Aso told reporters after hearing about Roh's death, according to Jiji Press. "I would like to offer my condolences and pray for the repose of his soul," Aso said.

Yukio Hatoyama, head of the nation's main opposition Democratic Party of Japan, said in a statement: "I would like to give my sincere condolences to the bereaved family and Korean people."

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen also offered his condolences following the death of Roh who he said made large contributions to the improvement of ties between Korea and Southeast Asia.

"I don't know how to express my sadness. I express sincere, deep condolences," the prime minister told a group of South Korean reporters visiting here. "I didn't hear yet about the exact reason for his death, but I can't contain my sadness over the news."

He noted that Roh had given much aid and support to Cambodia during his presidency from 2003-2008, recalling Roh's visits to Phnom Penh and Siem Riep, home of the Angkor temple complex.

From news reports
2009.05.25

No comments: