Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Rubber sector rejuvenated

Photo by: Heng Chivoan
A rubber plantation worker taps a tree for resin.


The Phnom Penh Post
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/

Written by Ros dina
Tuesday, 09 June 2009

A raft of rubber plantation concessions approved in the first four months of 2009 has put Cambodia on track to reach its cultivation target for 2015

Cambodia's target of having 150,000 hectares under rubber cultivation by 2015 has been given a boost with 42,000 hectares of concessions approved by the government in the first four months of 2009.

The seven projects have a proposed investment value of $146 million and are expected to employ almost 9,000 workers, according to applications lodged with the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), whose approval is required for projects over a certain size.

This compares with just four rubber plantation approvals worth $31.5 million in 2008.

Kay Vibol, the human resources manager at Vietnamese company Duong Nai Kratie Aphivath Caoutchouc Co, said 70 hectares were already under cultivation on a 2,502-hectare concession approved on April 27, and that 1,300 hectares would be planted this year. "We are following a master plan set by the Ministry of Agriculture," he said.

The approvals come after Ly Phalla, the director general of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries' rubber plantation department, told the Post in April that he expected just 10,000 hectares of rubber trees would be planted in 2009, down from 25,901 hectares in 2008, after international rubber prices dropped from $3,500 per tonne to just US$1,400 per tonne last year.

Cambodia now has 107,901 hectares under cultivation, with 33,673 hectares producing resin and 74,231 hectares of immature trees, according to ministry figures.

However, Mak Kimhong, president of the Association for Rubber Development of Cambodia, said the concession approvals reflected the fact that rubber was a more stable investment than other agricultural crops.

"Natural rubber fetches less than at the beginning of last year, but the price is still better than the $1,200-per-tonne received in 2007," he said.

"But farmers who grow cassava and beans are facing very big losses."

He added that 1.5 hectares under rubber cultivation could yield an annual income of around $2,000, compared with between $300 and $400 for bean farmers.

Mong Reththy, president of the Mong Reththy Group and co-chairman of the Government-Private Sector Working Group on agriculture, said his company made a profit of between $300 and $1000 per tonne depending on prices.

He added that planting crops like rubber, jatropha and palm oil required a long-term commitment but could generate stable returns and high employment if done right. "I think that the agro-industry, if we can do it well, has a lot of potential," he said.

Bouncing back
Renewed interest in the sector comes as prices have rebounded 25 percent this year on demand from China, the world's largest natural rubber consumer, reaching as high as $1,780 per tonne on the Tokyo Commodity Exchange.

Prices could rise further still, with Chinese consumption of natural rubber predicted to rise to 2.8 million tonnes in 2010 from an estimated 2.65 million tonnes this year, largely due to increasing tyre production.

A representative of Phu Rieng Kratie Aphivath Caoutchouc Co, a related Vietnamese rubber company, said 2,500 hectares had already been cleared on a 6,434-hectare concession also approved April 27, and that 1,700 hectares were already under cultivation. The company planned to plant a further 2,000 hectares this year and the remainder by 2012.

The company would also build a factory to process rubber for export, said the representative, who asked not to be named.

Rubber production is considered a key area for development for Cambodia's agricultural sector, which employs around 4.75 million of Cambodia's 8 million-strong labour force, yet provides just 32 percent of the country's GDP.

With annual growth lagging other sectors since the early 1990s at just under 4 percent, experts have called for a deepening of the agricultural value chain through developing domestic processing capacity.

Rubber was identified as one of 19 products with good export potential in the government's 2007 Diagnostic Trade Integration Strategy, but just 10,825 tonnes of dry rubber was exported in 2008 according to government figures, earning $24.9 million. The main export markets were Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Europe.

San Vanthy, director of the ministry's Agriculture Department, said the government is planning to invest in rubber processing to complement the increasing number of rubber plantations.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been told that if you undervolt you CPU, it increases the life of the battery, but will it have any effect on the way my laptop works? (health,performance)

__________
[url=http://darmowetapety24.blogspot.com]Tapety[/url]

Anonymous said...

Its a Sony Vaio VGN-NS140E so you know with windows vista as well. I cant download skype or even games off of Big Fish. I dont know why it just stops and never finishes I dont know whats happening and I dont know what to do.

_____________________
[url=http://make-money-on-surveys.blogspot.com/]Make money doing surveys[/url]

Anonymous said...

I renewed my norton anti virus after a year and than an hour later.i get a viruse call anti virus live? it was destroying my computer and i uninstalled norton and now the virus is gone..anyone have an idea what im talking about

_____________
[url=http://e-articles24.com/where-are-the-top-sites-in-the-us-for-thyroid-cancer-evaluation-and-treatment/]Where are the top sites in the us for thyroid cancer evaluation and treatment[/url]

Anonymous said...

I have a Toshiba Satellite that won't connect to the internet right now. It was working fine yesterday but now it's not working. It says it's connected to the network but won't connect to the internet what can I do? By the way, I'm using another computer that is successfully connected right now to ask this question...

_____________
[url=http://e-articles24.com/what-are-some-health-websites-doctors-use-to-research-information/]What are some health websites doctors use to research information[/url]

Anonymous said...

So, the background behind this is that I bought a new computer from dell. My family's not that rich, so i decided to go with the vista home basic OS instead of the windows 7 OS, which would've cost $40 more. i assumed that i could directly upgrade my OS from vista home basic to windows 7 ultimate (my bro sent me a disk), but it turns out i can't. i have a vista home premium installation disk, but my computer wouldn't accept it for some reason. any tips or solutions? thanks a lot!

_____________________
[url=http://make-money-on-surveys.blogspot.com/]Paid surveys[/url]

Anonymous said...

How do I remove the password from my wifi so everyone that walks by my house can get free wifi.HELP!!!!!

__________
http://www.goodcomicsforkids.com/?p=190&cpage=1#comment-16071

Anonymous said...

well here in the last month or so, my compter randomly loses power. as if the cord has been pulled. i can turn it back on right after, but often it shuts right back off in minutes. so i have to wait awhile, and try again, then it will work from a matter of days, to a few hours. i have tried switchin different outlets, it didnt help. i dont know what to do now. any suggestions?

__________
http://www.assonuoviautori.org/forum/index.php?topic=3096.0

Anonymous said...

When i on the switch, the cpu starts on its own before i switch on the cpu and then before it goes to windows it shuts down and starts automatically. Can some please help in this. Mine is a hp desktop.

____________
[url=http://darmowetapety24.blogspot.com]Tapetki[/url]

Anonymous said...

Greetings i am new here, I found this message board quite helpful & it has helped me out tonns. i should be able to give something back & help others like it has helped me.

Sometimes i enjoy [url=http://www.timesmasher.com/fguy/]watch family guy episodes online[/url] this helps pass a lot of time.

Cheers all, See you about.

Anonymous said...

Hello guys,

My name is James and I am from Stirling in the UK. I have in recent past discovered this forum and I like it very much.
I am a little bit shy so I will not write much about me but maybe when I will get more confortable, you guys will get to know me better!
My main hobbies are painting and watching movies. I also love outdoor activites but the temperature has been horrible for the last days or so here |.

I was wondering if anyone else here is from the united Kingdom too?

I am glad to have joined this forum!
Have a nice day!
:)

James

PS: Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section. I could not find the right one!

Anonymous said...

Hello guys,

My name is William and I am from Stirling in the UK. I have not long ago discovered this forum and I like it alot.
I am a little bit shy so I wont write much about myself but maybe when I will get confortable, you guys will get to know me better!
My main hobbies are cooking and watching movies. I also like outdoor activites but the temperature has been very bad for the last weeks or so here |.

I was wondering if anyone else here is from the united Kingdom too?

I am glad to have joined this forum!
Cya!
:)

William

PS: I apologize if this was posted in the wrong section. I could not find the good one!

Anonymous said...

Hello guys,

My name is James and I am from Stirling in the UK. I have recently discovered this forum and I like it alot.
I am a little bit shy so I wont talk much about myself but maybe when I will get more confortable, you guys will get to know me better!
My main hobbies are playing piano and watching movies. I also love outdoor activites but the temperature has been terrible for the last days or so here |.

I was wondering if someone else here is from the UK too?

I am glad to have joined this forum!
Cheers!
:)

James

PS: Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section. I could not find the good one!