Thursday, 23 July 2009

US is 'back in South-East Asia,' says Clinton


Wed, 22 Jul 2009
Author : DPA

Phuket, Thailand - US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Wednesday signed South-East Asia's main friendship and security treaty in a gesture signalling America's return to the region. "The United States is back in South-East Asia," Clinton told a press conference minutes before signing the Treaty on Amity and Cooperation in South-East Asia (TAC), a loose code of conduct for the region that was signed by the original founding members of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) in 1976.

Nearly all of ASEAN's main dialogue partners, such as Australia, China, India, Japan and South Korea, have already signed the TAC.

The US, under the previous administration of George W Bush, refused to accede to the document to fear its would cramp its unilateral-inclined style of diplomacy in Asia.

"US President (Barack) Obama and I believe this region is vital to global progress, peace and prosperity," Clinton said before signing the TAC.

"The treaty seals our commitment to work in participation with ASEAN," she added.

Clinton was in Phuket to sign the TAC and to attend the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF), Asia's main security event that has drawn 27 foreign ministers to the island, on Thursday.

The forum is expected to focus on the region's two main security threats - North Korea's nuclear armaments programme and Myanmar's ongoing political instability.

Clinton on Wednesday called for "irreversible denuclearization" in North Korea as the only "viable path" for North Korea.

She also called on Myanmar to free its political prisoners including Aung San Suu Kyi and take other steps to assure a credible general election next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off I want to say awesome blog! I had
a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
I was curious to find out how you center yourself
and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I have had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.
I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the
first 10 to 15 minutes are generally wasted just trying to figure out how to begin.
Any ideas or tips? Cheers!

My homepage :: weblog

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really
like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.

Please shoot me an email if interested. Kudos!

Anonymous said...

Superb website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?

I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get opinions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Kudos!

Look at my web site ... advokati beograd