Saturday, 24 October 2009

Thaksin to be my economic advisor - Hun Sen


By Supalak Ganjanakhundee
The Nation

(Posted by CAAI News Media)


Hun Sen (photo : Tatchadon Panyaphanitkul)

Hua Hin - Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen announced on Thursday that he planned to appoint convicted ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra as his economic advisor.

He made the statement upon arrival at Hua Hin airport to attend the 15th Asean Summit. He missed the Asean Summit's opening ceremony on Friday morning as he was busy receving South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.


"I plan to appoint Mr Thaksin as my economic advisor. I could do it because I do under sovereignty of Cambodia," Hun Sen said through an interpreter.

Asked whether the plan would be considered interfering in Thai politics, Hun Sen insisted that it was under Cambodia's rights to do so.

He told reporters that in Thailand, there were a lot of "red shirts" supporting Thaksin.

Hun Sen said it was internal Thai affairs in case Cambodia did not arrest Thaksin when he entered Cambodia.

He however said he was not supporter of Thaksin.

He also referred to a visit of Cambodia's opposition leader Sam Rainsy about two weeks ago.

"Sam Rainsy came to Thailand and criticised my government. I did not make any complaint about it," he said.

No comments: