Thursday, 19 November 2009

Prom plans to bounce back



Photo by: Asian Tour
Thailand’s Prom Meesawat claims he enjoys playing at the Phokeethra golf course in Siem Reap as it has a “tinge of Thailand” to make him feel at home ahead of the 2009 Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open.

(Posted by CAAI News Media)

Thursday, 19 November 2009 15:00 THE ASIAN TOUR

Thai golf star Prom Meesawat is looking to reclaim his top form at this week’s 2009 Johnnie Walker Cambodia Open after recovering from a shoulder injury

SIEM REAP – Thailand’s Prom Meesawat is confident of returning to his best form and challenge for the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open, which starts today.

Prom struggled with a shoulder injury during midseason but the 25-year-old is optimistic he can conjure his old magic which led him to his maiden Asian Tour title three years ago.

He will face tough opposition as a plethora of Asian Tour stars including Singapore’s Lam Chih Bing, 11-time Asian Tour winner Thaworn Wiratchant of Thailand, Anthony Kang of the United States, who is third on the Order of Merit, and Australia’s in-form Marcus Both are in the field at this week’s US$300,000 tournament.

“I had an injury on my left shoulder, but it is now better and I am swinging better. I have more confidence now because I’m striking the ball well. It has been three years since my last win, but I feel I am closer to winning again,” Prom said Tuesday.

Prom, nicknamed the “Big Dolphin” due to his burly physique and the fact that he comes from the coastal town of Hua Hin, was delighted to be back at the highly rated par-72 Phokeethra course as it gives him a sense of being at home.

“I love to come here because there’s a tinge of Thailand here as the course owner is Thai and many Thai players are also playing. This course is good for me and I am confident of having a good week,” he said, adding that he hopes to improve on his tied third place in 2007 and tied 23rd place in 2008.

Lam, who finished second at the Johnnie Walker Cambodian Open last season, is hoping to repeat last year’s performance which subsequently led him to a maiden victory on the Asian Tour.

“Finishing second here was my best finish at that point so it really gave me the confidence to win my maiden title. It is definitely my plan to try and finish strongly again,” said Lam.

The Singaporean has made 11 cuts in 14 tournaments this year and will be determined to improve on his best finish at the GS Caltex Maekyung Open in Korea where he ended in tied eighth place.

“I played OK over the last few weeks but it seems like in every tournament one bad round will pull me down. I have to find consistency for all four days and hopefully it will be this week,” he said.

The immensely talented Thaworn knows he can equal compatriot Thongchai Jaidee’s record of 12 Asian Tour wins. He has endured an up-and-down season but will look to his victory at the Macau Open earlier this season to spur him on.

“My consistency is very unbalanced. Sometimes I play good golf and sometimes I just lose my form. I have been training very hard to remain consistent and it has been slowly paying off.

“Equalling Thongchai’s record is not in my mind but I feel very comfortable playing on this course as it is near Thailand and it reminds me of home. I am hoping to do well,” said Asia’s No 1 in 2005.

This year’s Cambodian Open field also includes local amateurs Seng Vanseiha and Ly Hong, the latter of who put in a sterling performance at last month’s FCC Nations Cup at Siem Reap’s Angkor Golf Resort.

No comments: