Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Penrith CUA regional manager’s charity ride in Cambodia

via Khmer NZ News Media

30 Jun 10
by Lawrence Machado

WHEN Peter Jensen hops on his bicycle in Cambodia, he will be thinking of the educational benefits of the ride in addition to the thrill of discovering a new country.

Peter Jenson is cycling to raise funds to reduce poverty through education and financial help. Picture: MELVYN KNIPE

The Penrith CUA regional manager is embarking on his first charity ride, raising funds to reduce poverty through education and financial help from July 20-24.

“I am looking forward to the ride, though I am not a regular cyclist,” Mr Jensen said.

“But since I was nominated for the ride by my office, I have stepped up my cycling.

“I was into sport a lot until recently, playing cricket, baseball, Oztag, rugby league and soccer.”

The father of two will be joined by nine others for Credit Union Foundation Australia’s Cambodian Leadership Challenge.

“This is the first time I am undertaking such a ride, though I have done community work in the past,” Mr Jensen said.

“I used to mentor teenagers, including some homeless, to help them get into the workforce.”

All riders have to raise $3000 each, with the money going directly to the children.

“We will also be visiting some schools during the 340km ride,” he said.

“It’s a good goal and something I can’t wait to start.”

The challenge raises awareness and funds for a literacy program for children to help alleviate poverty through education.

To make a donation go to cufa.com.au/service/information.php

No comments: